Memories & Reflections

Home | Memories | Favorites | Leadership |Dalagang Pinay |

Friday, July 13, 2007

Being single

In about a month’s time, I will be “a quarter of a century old”, as a friend would put it. As some of you may know, I am single and a proud, bona fide NBSB* flag-bearer. Aside from being named “the counselor”, I earned a respect for being “tough”, “dense”, “deviant”, “manang or old maid” in high school. College was not much different; I was the jolly, loving friend without a “love life”. Anyhow, no one regards me as man-hater or androphobic. In fact, I keep a lot of healthy, purely friendly relationships with men. Everybody knows my being single is by choice.

I have learned that there are at least two connotations of being Single; either one is Single A or Single B. Single A is actually, “single and available” while Single B stands for “single with boyfriend”. Well, I have a third category to introduce: Single C, “single and Christian”. That’s where I’m in.

I am happy to have discovered very early in life that being “Single C” is a great blessing. It helped me discover and appreciate a lot of things on my own. I was able to focus my priorities and carefully set goals and standards in regard to my faith. It has become an ally in decision making. I know I have grown emotionally healthy as an individual. I gained a lot of genuine friends, too. And I treasure solitude.

One of my girl friends wrote me once, “I admire your love for God and your family. I honestly think you don’t need a boyfriend [at all]. There’s overflowing love you receive from your family, friends, and Him [God]. Likewise, you have distributed all the love and care [possible]. Sorry if I think this way, but I’m afraid for you since I know that you are pure, innately good, and I don’t want anybody hurting you…[August, 2004]”. I think that is sweet.

Does it mean I plan to be single all my life? I don’t know. I leave that to God. I prayed once for God’s direction; now it’s up to Him. When Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 7:8 (NKJV) "But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am;” My belief is reinforced.

I’m satisfied to be a ‘Christian single’. This is personal experience.


PS. A matured Christian who fears the Lord would be an ideal man. But to be single in the Lord is an experience! “Treat me as a princess and I’ll treat you as a King.”

*NBSB stands for No Boyfriend Since Birth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home