Memories & Reflections

Home | Memories | Favorites | Leadership |Dalagang Pinay |

Friday, October 28, 2005

Love Song

This native song is very inspirational and heart warming. It has particular impact on Filipinos, suggesting our values and culture. Almost every Filipino child has his own hammock when he is born. This reminds us of our childhood and all the more, the sweetest feeling we’d ever get—our mother’s love. The song tells of someone remembering his younger days…Here is a rough translation.


Sa Ugoy ng Duyan
By the Swing of the Hammock

Sana’y di magmaliw ang dati kong araw
I wish my old days would never come to pass

Nang munti pang bata sa piling ni Nanay
When I was still a child in my Mother’s bosom

Nais kong maulit ang awit ni Inang mahal
Once more I want to hear beloved Mother’s song

Awit ng pag-ibig habang ako’y nasa duyan.
A song of love while I’m on the hammock.

Sa aking pagtulog na labis ang himbing
In my deep, sound sleep

Ang bantay ko’y tala, ang tanod ko’y bituin
The North Star is my sentinel, I’m guarded by the star

Sa piling ni Nanay langit ang buhay
In Mother’s bosom, life is heaven

Puso kong may dusa, sabik sa ugoy ng duyan.
My heart in sorrow; longs for the swing of the hammock.

Nais kong matulog sa dating duyan ko, Inay...
I want to sleep on my old hammock, Mother

O' Inay....
O’ Mother….


Filipinos recognize a mother as source of security especially to little children. This is actually a love song for mother. It makes me cry just typing this song…. Oh, I miss my Mom…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home